Violence Against Women Act (VAWA)

VAWA stands for the Violence Against Women Act. This law was passed in 1994 and was created to help women who are victims of abuse or violence. If you are married to (or recently divorced from) a U.S. citizen or Permanent Resident, then you may qualify for protection under VAWA.

This special U.S. Immigration law gives battered women the right to “self-petition” for lawful Permanent Residence, without the abusive spouse’s knowledge. If you have a Conditional Permanent Resident visa, VAWA allows you to apply for removal of that condition.

The United States Citizen and Immigration Service (USCIS) is not allowed to tell your spouse that you have applied for residency in the United States.

Perhaps you are not married or divorced from the person who has abused you. In that case, you may be eligible for the “U Visa.” A U Visa requires you to assist authorities in the investigation of a crime.
If you are the victim of a crime and you have information that can help officials investigate that crime, then you should call our office to see whether you qualify for the U Visa.

Both the VAWA Visa and the U Visa were created to help victims of abuse and criminal activity get protection from United States authorities and receive lawful Permanent Resident Visas. If you believe that either of these U.S. Immigration Visas might be for you, call us today!

Call now to schedule an appointment: 330-492=0010